Youth Usher Corps
The Youth Usher program is a program that offers paid employment, job training and mentorship for Flint and Genesee County High School students. In addition to working as front of house staff at The Whiting and Capitol Theatre, Ushers are paid for their time attending life-skills workshops on topics such as Customer Service and Financial Literacy among others.
The Youth Usher Program offers:
- Occasion to see and learn about the culture and inner-workings of live theater with performances from around the world
- Job training and workshops in building essential and transferable skills
- Opportunity to be part of a supportive team of young adults
- Hands-on work with patrons in a friendly, fast-paced environment
- Continual personal and professional growth through the program
All applicants must:
- Be current high school students 16 and older
- Be able to attend select mandatory weekday after-school workshops
- Have or be able to attain reliable transportation to and from the venues
Youth Usher Application:
Working at The Whiting
Working at The Whiting invites teachers to bring their students for an interactive discussion with members of The Whiting staff about career pathways. Students will have the opportunity to discover the “behind the scenes” careers that are involved in everyday activities that make a theater run.
Staff Positions include:
- Executive Director of The Whiting and Capitol Theatre
- Guest Services Manager
- Front of House Manager
- Education and Community Engagement Manager
- Marketing and Media Relations Manager
- Rentals and Artists Services Coordinator
- House Carpenter
- House Electrician
- Director of Development
- Identify employability skills
- Identify career interaction in the workplace
- Identify new career pathways
- Apply curriculum to real life situations
- Ascertain the various paths to a career in the performing arts
Each session is approximately 60 minutes, 30 minutes of discussion and a 30 minute behind the scenes tour of The Whiting.
Intro to Tech Theater - ITT
Introduction to Tech Theater (ITT) is a hands on education program designed for high school students who are interested in behind the scenes careers. Students work alongside our IATSE Local 201 members during a show load-in to gain a one of a kind experience in the theater. Students are invited to attend the evening performance to see how the production unfolds.